Back How to lose your belly without losing out brochure
Swap Big for Small
- Don’t overcrowd your plate
- Think twice before going back for seconds
- Eat slowly to give your stomach time to signal it’s full
- Share a dessert rather than have your own
Swap Often for Sometimes
- Swap fried food for fresh
- Swap fizzy drink for water
- Swap take-away for home-made
- Eat less ‘sometimes’ food
Swap Sitting for Moving
- Walk and deliver a message rather than email
- Take the bike for short trips instead of the car
- Park the car further away and enjoy a short walk
- Get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way
Swap Watching for Playing
- Don't just watch sport get out and get active!
- Meet friends for awalk instead of coffee and cake
- Get outdoors with the family go to the park or for a bike ride
- Swap a family movie for bowling
“Hi, I’m Eric. if you’re like me, over the years you’ve started putting it on ... and on.”
Did you know that carrying excess weight around your waist can increase your risk of developing a lifestyle-related chronic disease such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some cancers? A waist measurement of over 80 cm for women and 94 cm for men puts you at risk.
How do you measure up?
“But you can lose your belly without losing out on the things you love, just by becoming a swapper! Come on, you’ve got too much to live for!”
Healthy eating and getting active can help you lose centimetres from your waistline and prevent or delay the onset of some chronic diseases.
There are some simple everyday changes you can make to get you on your way to a healthier lifestyle.
You don’t have to stop it, just swap it.
But Don't Forget
Don’t give up before you start to see the benefits. Be patient and keep at it. Set a series of goals and work towards them. Reward yourself when you get there.
Start with small swaps that can be easily incorporated into your everyday lifestyle. How many small swaps can you make today? Remember - small swaps add up to small changes that get easier over time and show results.
Need a helping hand?
You will find free resources to help you make changes towards a healthier lifestyle at australia.gov.au/swapit
Try the 12 week planner
- To help you build and maintain healthy habits for life
- Download the planner or the free interactive iPhone App
- Get tips to help you ‘swap it’
- Practical and simple ideas you can apply to your everyday life
- Find recipe ideas that are healthy and quick to prepare
- More information on healthy eating and physical activity
- Share your success stories and tips!
Start swapping today - it’s easier than you think.
All information in this publication is correct as at March 2011