Winter cooking 31st May 2011
Winter warmer cooking swaps
Reaching for an extra layer is a sure sign winter is on its way. Fire up the inspiration for warming winter cooking with these ideas to keep your waistline and wellbeing goals in sight:
- Swap ordering online, for a family trip to your local produce market or greengrocer for new season vegies.
- Plan to swap some of those familiar, everyday foods with something that is fresh, healthy and delicious.
Here’s some easy ways:
- Swap a pre-packaged snack for a new season apple or mandarin
- Swap butter on your baked potato for low-fat yoghurt
- Swap a ham and cheese toastie for a multigrain toastie with lean ham and tomato
- Swap apple pie for a baked apple
- Swap a meat loaded pizza for a vegetarian pizza with half the cheese.
You could also dust off the cookbooks and check out what’s in season now. How about brightening your bowl on a dark night with a warming seasonal pumpkin soup? Just make sure you swap cream or regular milk for low-fat evaporated milk or even skim milk powder for a creamy texture that’s guilt-free.
Want some other waist-friendly recipe ideas? Check out these recipes for quick and easy meal ideas.
Think like a swapper this winter and see what you can swap around!
Picture by: Jana Lumely and Dreamstime